Thứ Sáu, 14 tháng 12, 2012

Foodie Friday: Foods Around Kuching

NOTE: Non-Halal Food Post

Kuching 2012 11
Like what I did mentioned before in my previous post that during my trip to Kuching with my family last week, our trip seems like more towards food adventures. Besides Penang and Malacca, I think that Kuching is consider one of the city in Malaysia to be one of the place for food paradise.

Kuching has a number of notable and famous local dishes that mostly served in hawker stalls. It doesn't means that you have to go for grand and luxury restaurants for fine and delicious foods, hawker stalls sometimes serve more delicious than that.

The FOUR heavenly foods that you must try when in Kuching:

Kuching Foods - Kolo Mee
Who doesn't know this, the most famous noodle of Sarawak - Kolo Mee? A flash-boiled egg noodles that classically served with crushed garlic and shallot, minced pork, white vinegar, either vegetable oil, pork oil or peanut oil, and sliced barbecue pork known as char siew which is my favourite food that I can have it almost every morning when I was in Kuching. You can have this as low as RM2.60 per bowl in Kuching. It's dirt cheap and sometimes the hawker is generous with the amount of char siew.

Kuching Foods - Kway Chap
Kueh Chap, a ricecake strips served in a herbal soup with assortment of pork internal organs, deep fried tofu, and hard-boiled egg. 

Kuching Foods - Tomato Sauce Kway Teow
Another favourite of mine, Tomato Sauce Kuey Teow. Some people found it weird to eat this ricecake strips in the tomato sauce but for me, it is simply delicious. Some of the stalls in Kuching do serve in crispy deep fried noodles and you can request whatever ingredients you wanna add into this meal. For me, I prefer chicken, pork and fish cakes.

10 3rd Open House - Sarawak Laksa 
Sarawak Laksa – Spicy coconut prawn paste-based broth served with rice vermicelli, omelette and chicken strips, prawns, sliced deep fried tofu, and occasionally clams. But to be frank, I seldom had this in Kuching cause my mom serve the best Sarawak Laksa.

Apart from the above four heavenly foods of Kuching, there are even many unusual and unique foods you can find around Kuching itself, such as:

Kuching Foods - Bihun Belacan
I found this one kinda special cause I never came across in anyway, the Belacan Bihun. A vermicelli served together with octopus mixed together with spicy shrimp paste. Did anyone found this food in other place besides Kuching, please share with me but I doubt so on that.

Kuching Foods - Rojak Fruits & Cuttlefish
Rojak Buah - Mixed of pineapple

Kuching Foods - ABC
Kuching Special ABC with their special name. From left; White Lady, Harry Potter and Gangnam Style. 
I was so surprised but at the same time, laughed for non-stop when I heard the name. Their ABC are freaking cheap too where you can get as low as RM1.70. Gosh!

Kuching Foods - 3 Layers Teh Special
Three Layer Milk Tea or locally known as Teh C Special. This three lay­ers are often made up of tea which is on the top, evap­o­rated milk in the middle and Gula Melaka syrup in the bottom part. Not just three, there are some shops even served in five layers. Cool!

Kuching Foods - Kek Lapis
Most of the foods above are hardly for you to bring back or even give to your friends and family, unless going to Kuching by themselves. But no worry, as there are always something you can bring back as a gift from Kuching, none other than Kek Lapis or Layer Cake. Everytime when I see those passengers from Kuching flight, most of them brought a big box and sometimes even more than that filled with Kek Lapis. There are many flavour with different kind of patterns and motifs.

I doubt that most of the foods above are hardly to be found in elsewhere, except in Sarawak especially the Kuching city. Wanna try and eat the origin, buy ticket and heading to Kuching for a food adventures that for sure will make you craving for more. No offense but a Malaysian who had been to many countries but not Kuching, it's kinda shame on you. Should plan your trip to this humble cats city someday. Meow!

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét